Thursday 4 April 2013

Waiting in vain

You're not going to believe this but we still haven't completed on the house purchase... I know, I know, it couldn't happen to anyone else! I'm really starting to believe Jeff (the worlds worst pessimist) when he says if something can go wrong it will go wrong!  Of our dilemma, I asked our solicitor "does this happen often" to which he replied no, it's very rare... Well, he's making a blinking fortune out of us. 3rd Time lucky thought I but it's starting to look increasingly unlikely to go through again.  For one reason or another the vendor cannot complete so I've given them a deadline of Friday to sign or we're pulling-out!

I naively thought the UK house buying process was going to be straight forward but no, the first property that we had an offer accepted on we were strung along by the vendor for about 10 days only for them to 'change their mind' about selling and remove it from sale without even telling us or with any explanation.   The next we got a little further along in the process, 3 months  to be precise when we pulled out after the vendor tried to pull a fast one.  We were about 7 or 8 weeks down the line with this house purchase when I discovered  that the seller no longer has to provide the HIPs here in the UK, I thought this was still the law but apparently it was suspended in May 2010 and now generally considered scrapped.  No wonder then that people can just put their property for sale on a whim only to 'change their mind' when serious buyers come along! The financial costs are really starting to mount-up now with solicitors fees (over £1500 so far) and storage costs (at £55 per week.  Which is where I ask myself again...Why have we got 2 containers worth of crap when I thought I'd sold everything in France?).  I'll add it all up eventually but don't even want to go there at the moment. So, here we are 3rd time (not) lucky and it's all starting to go Pete Tong again. Oh well, Friday is crunch day!!!

Pointless sitting around twiddling our thumbs so to try to take the pressure off a little we've taken some time out and gone for a short cruise to Fazeley this last week. The weather's been dry and sunny but with a bitter wind blowing just to take the shine off.

All quiet on the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal
Working boat with tug
Not surprisingly therefore the waterways were fairly quiet with just a few passing boaters and most of those were 'working boats'.

At Fazeley Junction, a fellow moorer and CC'er (nb Elaine) who we got chatting to was singing the praises of these 'fuel boats'.  It got me thinking 'how do boaters keep track and locate these boats' so I got digging I've discovered a useful site listing quite a number of them... http://lock13.co.uk/boats/coaldiesel.htm it's good to see some of them are taking advantage of Social Networking sites: FaceBook and Twitter.  What would be even better is if they could all use a GPS tracking system like that on WaterExplorer so that they can be tracked in real time! The guy on nb Elaine (should have got his name) was happy to hang around for a week waiting for a fuel boat but I can't imagine everyone doing that. Talking of Twitter I've created a list of Tweeters uniquely for #LifeOnTheCanals that you may like to follow for all things boaty!

Oh, whilst on our return journey I snapped a few shots of the latest marina being built of our local canals at Huddlesford. Still early days but progress is definitely being made on the '130 berth marina' although I'm not sure what the proposed opening date will be. Contact number for information is 01865 873900!
 


We arrived at Fradley Junction late Wednesday afternoon and moored up for the night before heading back to Barton Marina tomorrow!
Fradley Junction Swing Bridge
Fradley Junction

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We had our week on the canal during the snow, we took the decision to only go as far as Alrewas in case they closed the river section and we wouldn't be able to get the boat back to the hire company. Loved it though and spend some time exploring the area. Didn't get to see 'my' house at Rugely. LOL. I hope your house seller gets a move on soon.

Julie said...

Just heard off the estate agent that it's all going through but may be another week as the vendors solicitor is just waiting for 1 more piece of paperwork... Isn't it always the way! Meanwhile we're hedging of bets by viewing an alternative property on Saturday, just in case!

Nev Wells said...

I feel the frustration ! I hope you get there in the end, the just one more week is really testing the patience I expect.

I think we waved to you on Saturday when we winded Percy below Bagnall lock. I was not sure otherwise I'd have knocked and introduced myself and Rachel.

http://nbpercy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/blimey-that-was-refreshing.html

Good Luck!

Nev

Julie said...

We moored there Sunday night Nev, you should have come-up to us as I'm brain dead when on the boat so sorry if I didn't click it was you! Will try to be more vigilant in future. Lol!

Nev Wells said...

Having a craft moment.... sorry yes Sunday we winded the boat. We will stop next time.

Nev