Tuesday 5 March 2013

Life goes on...

I don't want to tempt fate but I think we should be completing on our house purchase in a week or two.   Well, we've done everything our end so I'm hoping it's only now a matter of days.  It's been lovely living on the boat even with all the other horrible stuff that's been happening in our lives but I will definitely be looking forward to having our own pied-a-terre again. What I'm not looking forward to is emptying the storage units!

On the boat front: we're absolutely itching to 'get-going' but reluctant to go too far with the house about to go-through.  The licence has just been renewed (12 months for £769.21) so we're all legal and Jeff has booked The Cat into the dry dock at Barton Marina to have a new stern gland fitted along with a few other jobs. The weather has been lovely the last few days and we managed to get out last weekend for a short cruise up to Shobnall.  Just to say a quick hello to passing boaters or exchanging pleasantries with folks at the locks was lovely!

I seem to have spent hours following other boaters blogs and their journeys so it was great to be out in the real world rather than the virtual world. Although I have picked-up loads of info from these boaty blogs.  One of the things I have been noticing is that a lot of these savvy boaters seem to have an on-line tracking system for their boats and being a gadget sort of person thought I'd like one for The Cat.  I discovered the website waterexplorer and ordered the GPS receiver as recommended and downloaded the Navvygator software. It was a bit tricky to set-up but I managed and it is now working. I have put a link on the front page of the blog so that anyone can now see and track The Cat's Whiskers progress on the 'interactive waterways map' - useful for our family and friends maybe! 

Well, we're back in the marina for now but many of our narrow boat neighbours are leaving the marina now that March is here.  We are starting to feel a little left behind. I'm praying the house sale does go through quickly and smoothly now and then we will be joining in all the fun with the wonderful boating community!

Just a quick note to say that I have found a couple of great websites for all things narrow boats including http://www.canalworld.net/ and http://www.justcanals.co.uk



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you manager to find a house with a mooring? There was a lovely one for sale just after Burton (I think) last year, when we went up the Trent and Mersey. Even has a swimming pool, bit pricey though. Oh come on lottery!!!!

Julie said...

Hi Carol, Thanks for reading my post. Yes, we have found a house with a mooring. We're hoping to complete on it next week. I think I know the house your talking about though, is it this one... http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-19415433.html?premiumA=true. Stunning but well out of our league unfortunately! ;-)

Unknown said...

Ah never mind. We are on the Trent and Mersey next week for a week, I shall cruise past and look longingly. LOL

Nev Wells said...

You have done well to get a place with a mooring... I have, like you, spent many hours on Rightmove looking for a place with a mooring, so we can downsize and be a little more flexible in our lives. We moor our boat Percy at Fradley so a little cheaper than the local marinas but no facilities (other than a nice view)

I hope you are now in your new house and get some decent cruising done. If you have any tips for locating canal side property I'd love to hear them.

Take care

Nev NB percy

Julie said...

Hi Nev,

I guess if you've been searching for a while now you'll already be familiar with http://www.canalcuttings.co.uk/canalside-property-for-sale.html I also made use of the 'draw a map'(around the canals) feature on zoopla and right move and saved these searches. I've started to put the ones I find on Pinterest too if you want to take a look... http://pinterest.com/julieplowman/uk-canalside-property/
Still not in the house yet... Ruddy solicitor dragging it out I suspect!