Saturday 12 January 2013

Living on the boat

We've been living on the boat since 22nd December 2012 and I can honestly say I'm loving it.
Barton Marina, Christmas 2012
Cosy Salon
It may be winter and freezing outside but we're all cosy and comfy aboard 'The Cat'... It's just so relaxing, totally 'away from it all' and just think, if we like it now, how much are we going to enjoy cruising and life aboard in the warmer months. It's just what we all needed after the stress of the last few months.

Galley Kitchen
Life in Barton Marina is very laid back with plenty going-on right on your doorstep.  Well thought-out and beautifully landscaped with scenic walks around the many lakes it has all the usual marina facilities plus more to make life easier for the boaters.  There is also 'The Waterfront Pub' which although quite new has a nice cosy atmosphere.  They have live entertainment every Friday and Saturday night and although we haven't actually been yet (we get too comfy in the Captains chairs) we can't hear anything from where we're moored at the far side of the marina.

Moored-up in the Marina
There's also a new Thai restaurant called 'Nipa' which looks very nice (we're due to dine there next Saturday night with friends) and various 'artisan' shops including an excellent butchers. The lovely 'unspoilt' village of Barton Under Needwood is a pleasant 10 minute stroll away and is well served with lots of services too.


Cruising the T&M
Although we like it in the marina we can't wait to get out on the cut.  Last weekend we managed to escape it's confines and had a little trip down the Trent and Mersey to Alrewas (about 2.5 miles).

 Mooring at Alrewas

Entering the Lock
We hadn't started 'The Cat' since arriving at the marina but I'm pleased to report that she started first time.  Such a relief after all the hassle we had with my dad's old boat... No messing about spraying the engine with 'Cold Start' and all that nonsense. ;-)  The photos I've posted here were taken with my new iPhone (a recent treat to myself), my friend Jean spotted them after I'd posted them to my Facebook profile and joined us for the journey back on the Sunday... I think she enjoyed her first ever Narrowboat trip looking at her face!

Jean at the bow
Talking about the phone, I'm really pleased with my new gadget, I've spent hours discovering all it can do and having it hooked-up to the internet with The One Plan from Three is absolutely brilliant, all you can eat data, tethering and no worrying about topping-up.  Perfect for when we really get cruising. It's great to be finally catching up with the 21st Century.

On the home front... We'll soon be the proud new owners of a nice little semi that backs on to the Wyrley and Essington Canal if all goes to plan.  It has a decent size garden for Ruben, a great outlook onto open fields at the rear and once we've settled in we'll be contacting CaRT to re-establish an end-of-garden mooring for The Cat... Watch this space!

Ps I may have cussed my dads boat earlier but 'Norwind' will always have a place in my heart (as it did in his) and I'm truly pleased to still be in touch (via Facebook) with the gentleman who is now the owner of
it. He wrote earlier this month to let me know that he and his wife spent boxing day aboard the boat and appears to still be really pleased with the old thing... The boat not the wife that is :-)

That's it for now... Hopefully next time I post we'll be 'in the house'!

No comments: