Friday 30 November 2012

What doesn't kill you...

I'm hoping that, that well known quote 'what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger' proves true for us as we really have been through a tough couple of months since my last post.

Just when I thought our life was settling down to some kind of routine again my father sadly passed away. We were just a few days into what was supposed to be our first joint narrowboat trip together. We'd just bought our own boat so that we could all have our own space... As much as I love my folks we've tried living together before and know only too well that it's not a good idea.  My mum and dad have been narrowboat owners for about the last 15 years or so and had probably covered most of the inland waterways network in England and Wales.  They were going to 'show-us-the-ropes' as they say and so we decided to do the Leicester Ring as this had a wide range of different locks, rivers and attractions to initiate us newbies.

Mum, Dad and Rita on Norwind

Looking down The Cat!


Ruben On the Bow of The Cat!

Norwind on the River Soar!

My mum and dad set-off from Hatherton Marina where their boat Norwind is normally moored and cruised up the Trent and Mersey Canal to Mercia Marina at Willington where we were waiting with our  boat The Cat's Whiskers. My Auntie Rita was also aboard Norwind (she goes cruising with my folks quite often).  We all set-off together on Saturday 8th September... The weather was gorgeous and everyone was in good spirits. We had a lovely couple of days but all too soon my dad was struggling with his health.  He'd been quite poorly for the last few years with his ticker, in fact he had appointment to have a pace-maker fitted on the 28th September. We all wanted to get an ambulance out to him but he was having none of it but did agree for us to ask my brother to come fetch him home.  He actually took him straight in to Walsall Manor Hospital but unfortunately he only lasted 24 hours before his heart failed and he died on the Wednesday evening.

My Lovely Dad 'George'
 We'd left/abandoned the boats on the Grand Union canal at Leicester... Norwind was moored-up outside the Hope and Anchor pub at Syston and The Cat's Whiskers was at Kilby Bridge at Wigston. Once we'd got the funeral over we had to arrange to bring both boats home to their respective home marinas. It was an awful thing to have to do, 'bringing my dads boat home' but we managed and of course then my mum had to decide what to do with it.  The obvious answer was to sell it and to cut a long story short whether it was out of anger, grief or something else she ended-up 'giving it away' to a chap who'd shown some interest in it via Facebook. I am still in touch with him via Facebook and hope to see Norwind again someday!

Norwind Rescue!

The Sunsets over Norwind!
 I'm pleased to say we still have The Cat's Whiskers and she's now moored safely in Barton Marina. We are so looking forward to cruising her properly next year and hope to have many years ourselves enjoying the UK Inland Waterways!

2 comments:

nonarrowboatyet said...

Lost my mother a short while ago sorry to hear of your loss wish you all the best

Anonymous said...

im the chap who now is the proud owner of norwind your mom and dad are allways in my thoughts as are you and your hubby im slowly finding my way around norwind .your mom and dad had a great time looking after norwind and i will try to follow in there steps iv had i great trip to her new home .